Saturday, July 16, 2011

Okay, now I'd really rather be in Chalfont

That last post was a long one, so I'll try to keep it brief. This time I'm blogging from an airport - Denver International to be exact - and I'm hoping this will be my last time ever spending enough time in an airport to be able to blog. All I can say is thank God for this little "device charging station" and the ability to spend a few hours on my laptop to break up the time. I'm already in my tenth hour here. It is currently 5:45 pm Mountain Time, and I arrived here at 8:25 am.

When I looked at the Departures board this morning, I thought there must be some mistake. My 10:33 am flight was now leaving at 8:50PM? Really? How could there be a ten hour delay on such a beautiful summer day? And why me? What would I do with all that time? I thought about going back to the hotel and checking myself back in, or taking a cab to downtown Denver, but I didn't want to go that far from the airport in case something changed. After taking a few minutes for a pity party, and receiving a Skype call from the girls in the D.R. only to find that they couldn't hear me, I nearly sank into a depression. I started to make a game plan in my head about how I would spend the next twelve hours. One hour doing crossword puzzles, one hour eating lunch, one hour shopping in the airport stores, one hour on my laptop, one on Facebook, one having dinner, one hour reading - okay make that two... and after all that I still had four hours left! Not a great way to end a vacation, but maybe Colorado really wants to keep me... at least that's the way I'm looking at it.

Now it is 5:41 pm MDT and I still have three hours and ten minutes before take-off. It's hard to believe I've killed this much time, but when you do everything reaaaallllyyy slowly, it's easy. I think I spent 20 minutes this morning just looking at earrings in a store, and I never even bought any. I've watched disappointed passengers all day, finding out that their flight to Vegas was delayed two hours, or that they would need to wait an extra 45 minutes for their flight. If they only knew. The problem is that 18 of Frontier's fleet of planes were severely damaged by a hail storm the other day. So I guess they figured anyone going to Philadelphia would really rather be in Colorado (they got that right) so why not give them the longest delay?

It's too bad I didn't realize this sooner, or I would have spent the day in downtown Denver, but it is another 95 degree day. Besides, I did learn a lot about how to waste time, which is something I don't get to practice very often.

Now I'm off to the Mexican restaurant on the mezzanine for a quesadilla and a margarita. At this rate, I should get home around 3:45 am. At least I'll beat the girls home from the D.R.!

Goodnight from DIA!

No comments:

Post a Comment