Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I would rather be in Colorado?

Okay, here I am, first night in Colorado - by MYSELF! The girls are in the Dominican Republic and here I am, in the middle of what looks like a tropical storm in Denver. It all started when I sat in my black Chevy Impala rental car, trying to figure out the XM Satellite Radio I rented for $4.99 per day, only to find that IT DOESN'T WORK! Anyway, I'm scrolling through the Denver radio stations and all of a sudden that beep-beep-beep sounds comes on. You know, the Emergency Broadcast System. Only this was not "just a test".

As I stared into the sunset with the white peaks of the Denver airport in the distance, my first thought was "Great... I just got here an there's gonna be a tornado or something..." but it was just a flash flood warning for some county I never heard of. So I started on the 27 minute drive to my hotel, the Hampton Inn on Zuni Street. All I could see was a spectacular light show of lightning bolts far ahead of me on the highway, but it didn't really worry me. It was actually kind of pretty, that is until it started raining. Being in a rental car, I couldn't even find the wiper controls. Before I knew it, it was pouring so hard I couldn't hear the GPS on my phone, and I had to repeatedly wash the windows because I couldn't find the wipers! The guy in front of me put on his hazard lights, and then the floods came. I could barely see, and decided to put on my hazards tool. Thank God I finally figured out the wipers, and I made it to the hotel okay.

Now it's 10:30 Mountain Time, but it feels like 12:30. I ate the hotel's complimentary "Honey Roast Mix" and a coke from the machine down the hall. That was my dinner. I didn't see any restaurants nearby and wasn't really hungry enough to look for one in the rain. So here I am, on my laptop, watching Billy Ray Cyrus being interviewed by Piers Morgan, and wondering if I really need to move my car out of that handicapped spot I parked in. No hot tub for me tonight, I'm afraid, but at least I was able to revive this blog. To be honest, I had forgotten all about it until I was flying here today. Hoping tomorrow will be better... so far I'm not doing anything different than what I would normally do on a Tuesday night.

Goodnight from Denver!

No comments:

Post a Comment